Saturday, May 19, 2018

Every PERSON...

I completely disagree with Kelly Fraasch's commissioner's column 

Nationally, we have seen a greater interest in women running for office. It has been inspiring for me to witness my daughter’s potential and encourage her responsibility as the next
generation. It’s just as important to see my son support women’s and men’s equal opportunity to run for office.

However, as a community leader and the only woman serving as a Commissioner, I have concerns that Mt. Lebanon is missing out on this progress if we don’t take an active role in ensuring more women are able to run for elected position within our municipal government.

One of the top reasons I ran for office in 2011 was my concern that a woman hadn’t served as a Commissioner since Barbara Logan completed her three terms in 2007. For the last three of my six years on the Commission, a majority of my time serving, I have been the sole female. That concerns me in many ways for our community’s future, as I begin finishing up my eight years.
In 2011, I made the decision to run after speaking to my husband and recognizing I had the time and we had the financial resources to serve. At that time, I did not fully understand the privilege afforded to me so I could run.

Within the first two months, I realized the 20 hours a month I estimated the job would take was an underestimate. Thank goodness I had a spouse to assist with child care and running kids around, and we had the financial means to pay for the expenses that go with this role.

In 2013 to 2015, my spouse traveled an extraordinary amount and then soon after I became a single parent. Through my transition of being married to divorced, I could see more clearly the potential struggles for women to run for office or maintain their elected position. I understood the privilege I had in 2011.
I felt this new perspective afforded me the opportunity to speak out.

We should all demand changes big and small to give every woman the opportunity to consider a run for office in our local government.

I have brought value to this Commission in many perspectives, but here are a few things I am certain my male colleagues haven’t provided to this community. I’ve assisted women have needed help in domestic situations from all wards, not just the ward I serve. I’ve talked with numerous young women and men to discuss the importance of a gender-diverse leadership. Not to mention, in discussions with my colleagues, I have added to a conversation with my “particular lens” to address or resolve a situation.
Between 1988 and 1991, women made up the majority on our Commission. I hope and expect this community develops a conscious effort to ensure that women continue to serve our municipality and the residents of Mt. Lebanon.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poorly disguised misandry, Ms. Fraasch.

Lebo Citizens said...

I just cannot relate to any of this. I ran in the 2011 Primary as a single mom. That seat went to Kristen Linfante. When Kristen resigned, I interviewed for her seat and another single mom was appointed as the third ward commissioner.

Actually, I am offended that Kelly would say that she expects that our community "develops a conscious effort to ensure that women continue to serve our municipality and the residents of Mt. Lebanon." Whatever happened to the best qualified? "...give every woman the opportunity to consider a run for office in our local government." Isn't this reverse discrimination?

How does she know that she is the only commissioner who has assisted women in domestic situations from all wards? Wouldn't that be confidential? Does one have to be a woman to help in domestic situations? How many police officers have done the same? Priests? Social workers? Her male colleagues? How many of her female colleagues assisted women in domestic situations? That crew? I seriously doubt it.

When I ran for commissioner, I was too young for widow's benefits. I had no income, but I wanted to serve. I don't think people do it for the money. I look at the school board directors who don't receive any compensation and many devote endless hours as board members. Kelly should know that first hand.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

The issue of gender is not one that I consider when voting. Gender is irrelevant. Qualified is what I look for.

Anonymous said...

Two words in response to Ms. Fraasch. Mary Birks. She championed the fiasco that is the Capital Campaign. Ohh wait, two more. Carol Walton. She championed the firing of Marge Sable and the $500k buyout AND the capital campaign! Vote for the person, not the gender

Anonymous said...

7:54, a few more words ... Jo Posti and Elaine Cappucci. Women haven't cornered the market on awful school board directors (and abysmal fundraisers), but they certainly have their fair share.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Fraasch dismissed Mrs. Van Kirk.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone articulate her position on the public works project, and why she's voted "no" on every vote thus far? If I'm not mistaken, this is her Ward. Is she opposed to improving that space for the benefit of those residents who have to stare at that eyesore? Sometimes I think she opposes things just for the sake of trying to swim upstream.

Lebo Citizens said...

I haven't had any contact with Kelly for several years now - her choice, not mine, but I do remember this presentation. Perhaps she is voting no because she is against the improvements. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sQLnVYnP7MekxGa3BUYkVaSDQ/view
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Professionals should be helping women in domestic situations. The police need women on the force and also a victim's advocate. Other police departments employ a victim's advocate or someone in victim's services and they help with resources, etc. It's not uncommon for the police to say, "I can't help with that" or "prove it". Kelly should make that her next mission.

Anonymous said...

I sincerely doubt that she's voting "no" because she still holds out hope for some half brained plan to put undersized lacrosse fields and a puppy park on Cedar Boulevard. If that's the case, she should be arrested for stealing her paycheck.

Anonymous said...

Fraasch is running for chair of the Mt. Lebanon Democratic Committee next month. She is trying to unseat incumbent Michelle Z.

Anonymous said...

Kelly is biting the hand that fed her. Michelle has always supported Kelly in her races for commissioner. A big cheerleader.



My opinion is that being Committee chair and commissioner is a conflict of interest. She still has two years to serve as commissioner. Maybe she intends to quit the commission job.

Lebo Citizens said...

I thought Kelly had to resign from the committee when she became commissioner. What do I know?
Elaine