Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writer takes issue with comments

The Almanac
February 15, 2012

I must take issue with James Cannon’s letter titled “ML moving ahead with upgrade.” 

As the “would-be politician” referenced in Mr. Cannon’s letter, I must step forward to clarify a few statements made by him. There are two James Cannons residing in Mt. Lebanon.  One is James Cannon Jr., a young, honest, hardworking man who ran in the General Election for school board director.  He happens to be school board President Josephine Posti’s estranged brother.  

Then there is James Cannon Sr., who is Posti’s father.  Though the letter writer did not specify which James Cannon he was, James Cannon Sr. confirmed to The Almanac editor that he was the author. 
A little background information is in order. I got involved in this community when the high school renovation project was not put up for referendum.  I was a concerned citizen of Mt. Lebanon walking through 24 inches of snow two years ago gathering signatures to cap the renovation project to $75 million. We gathered close to 4,000 signatures. I felt that there was a lack of transparency in our school district, so I started a website called Lebo Citizens. By uploading actual recordings to this website and providing links to important documents and articles, I was trying to hold our school board directors accountable for their actions.   
It became apparent that Mt. Lebanon residents needed another avenue to vent their frustrations, so I started the Lebo Citizens blog. Sure, we have School Board President Posti’s blog, but comments are not accepted. 
Unbeknownst to me, my blog was nominated by CBS Pittsburgh for 2011 Most Valuable Blogger. The description of my blog, as listed on the CBS Pittsburgh website is, Lebo Citizens “is informative, truthful, and starts insightful discussion. People are not afraid to comment about local municipal and school government.” I don’t see any reference to “Lord of the Flies.”

Yes, I ran in the Primary Election last May against the incumbent and ran a low budget campaign, but I walked all 71 streets in my ward and had a respectable amount of votes, for which I am thankful. But please don’t call me a “would-be politician.”  The word “politician” has a negative connotation. Dictionary.com defines “politician” as “a seeker or holder of public office, who is more concerned about winning favor or retaining power than about maintaining principles.” I will leave it up to the readers to decide if any of the school board members fit this description. 
I would like thank James Cannon Sr. for crystallizing in my mind why comments like his lead more to divisiveness instead of discussion.  I don't care if people disagree with me; I am content knowing that I give people the opportunity to vent and to hear “the rest of the story.” 
Elaine Gillen
Mt. Lebanon


No comments: