Friday, August 11, 2017

The letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law

The Deer Feeding Ban Ordinance was introduced by Kristen Linfante, the commissioner who was obsessed with killing deer in Mt. Lebanon. The intent was by instituting a deer feeding ban, it would help to reduce the amount of deer-vehicle collisions. Allegedly.

Background:
To: commission Cc: kmcgill ; alauth ; rsukal
From: egillen476
Subject: Re: Feeding deer SECOND REQUEST
Date: Wed, Aug 2, 2017 12:24 pm
Commissioners,

I sent this email to eight people and the only response I got was the out of office memo from Aaron Lauth. I wasn't sure who to address this issue so I sent it to all of you. I sent it to the commissioners because it involves a resolution that you folks passed - the Feeding Ban. I sent it to Steve Silverman because it is in your back yard. I sent it to Dave Brumfield because he is the president. I sent it to Steve McLean because he is my commissioner. I sent it to Kelly Fraasch because she has been an anti kill advocate. I sent it to John Bendel because he is concerned about the deer/car collisions - as are the rest of you. Allegedly. I sent it to Keith McGill because he is the manager. I sent it to Rudy Sukal because neighboring Public Works has been used to kill deer. I sent it to Aaron Lauth because this is a safety issue and he is our chief of police. Aaron has an excuse for not replying. What about the rest of you?

As of yesterday, I saw the deer teetering off the curb in front of the apple tree. Cars on Gilkeson Road were slamming on their brakes. Are you not responding so that you can get those deer/car collision figures up to push your personal agendas or is this just a way to cull deer without paying DeNicola?

Elaine Gillen
-----Original Message-----From: egillen476 <egillen476@aol.com>To: commission <commission@mtlebanon.org>Cc: kmcgill <kmcgill@mtlebanon.org>; alauth <alauth@mtlebanon.org>; rsukal <rsukal@mtlebanon.org>Sent: Sun, Jul 30, 2017 1:37 pmSubject: Feeding deer
Commissioners,

My heart breaks every time I drive past the apple trees on Gilkeson Road near Cedar Blvd. The ground and street are covered with apples luring deer to come and feed. They don't know that they will be killed just a few feet away in September.

Please enforce the feeding ban. Then the deer won't be crossing that busy highway for apples.

How about cracking down?

Elaine Gillen

Fast forward to today. 

I sent yet another email to Keith McGill about the trees next to my house that are in the park. Yes, I am still dealing with that after how many years? I also mentioned that I had sent an email to him (and seven other people) about the apple trees along Gilkeson Road and NONE of them had the decency to reply.

I finally heard back from Keith McGill. Here is part of the reply from him:
As to your email regarding the apple trees, your request was for that the ordinance prohibiting the feeding of deer be enforced. The prohibition does not include live vegetation. I have attached a copy of the ordinance for your reference.
Keith

The crew just left and finally, after all these years, the tree situation has been resolved. I am thrilled! But the apple tree on Gilkeson Road is just an accident waiting to happen. 12:06 AM, who has so much hate in her heart, wanted to kill all the deer here. I have identified a dangerous condition only to be told that the ordinance does not include live vegetation. Classic.

Bottom line: Drive with caution on Gilkeson Road near Cedar Blvd. Mt. Lebanon is going to leave it up to Tony DeNicola to handle it.

1 comment:

Lebo Citizens said...

Incidentally, Keith, you pay Anthony DeNicola to use "live vegetation" as bait.
Elaine