Saturday, September 17, 2011

The new buzz word for 2011

2010 Word of the Year    Fear mongering
2011 Word of the Year    Vitriol

David Reese used it in his email to me.  It also appears in some anonymous comments here on Lebo Citizens.  What did the teachers tell us in vocabulary class?  "Use a new word ten times and it becomes your own."  What number are we at?

Here is an email exchange from Commissioner Brumfield concerning Dave Reese's letters to me.
  
On Sep 12, 2011 12:30 PM, <egillen476@aol.com> wrote:
 Is this a threat?
 Elaine
From: david brumfield
To: egillen476 Sent: Mon, Sep 12, 2011 12:43 pm
Subject: Re: Fwd: Good morning!

Elaine,
I do not see a threat but I would recommend not circulating emails people sent you in which they explicitly deny you the right to forward. I do not believe any legal obligation is created but I would tell a client not to invite the trouble.
All that said I do not believe any of your posts are improper. My issue comes with some of the responses. You for the most part post reported facts. Unfortunately, at times those posts are high-jacked by people who favor vitriol and rhetoric over facts and discussion. I have never found you guilty of such behavior nor do I expect you to be able to stop it.
I just hope overtime we are able to return civility soon.
Thanks
Dave

On Sep 13, 2011 2:24 PM, <egillen476@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,
You just don't see it, I 'm sure, but don't you think you described Dave Reese's email as something coming from a person "who favors vitriol and rhetoric over facts and discussion?"
See you tonight.
Elaine

From: david brumfield
To: egillen476
Sent: Tue, Sep 13, 2011 2:53 pm
Subject: Re: Good morning!
Elaine,
I have a slightly different standard for a private email than a public communication.  I would agree that it was at best a testy email and may have been angry.  I just believe that more latitude is given in private communication.
Dave
 

Dave,
Thank you for clarifying when it is appropriate to be rude, hostile, and by my feelings, threatening. I do hope the Chief talks with him about it and doesn't justify Dave Reese's behavior as you have.  Sorry, but I don't see the difference, public or private.
See you in a bit.
Elaine
Bullying is nothing new here in Lebo.  See the April 2009 BlogLebo archive for how crazy it gets around election time with athletic supporters or see this:http://bloglebo.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

Here is a post on Civility.

http://bloglebo.blogspot.com/2008/12/civil-and-civic-disobedience.html
The comments are nice too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bullies stick together! Bill Hook