Saturday, March 9, 2013

Announcement from Dan Miller

I received the following email this morning.

 

Dear Friends and Neighbors-

I am proud to announce that I am running to be our next State Representative from the 42nd House District. Our former Representative Matt Smith has moved on to represent us in the Senate which means that a winner-take-all special election for that seat will now occur on May 21st

These are challenging times, but that is exactly why I am interested in serving you in the State House. I am not interested in going to Harrisburg to talk about the small things or to get embroiled in the typical partisan fights. I want action on the issues that grow and strengthen our middle class. I want real policies that keep jobs and opportunity in Pennsylvania. I think we need to change the way education is currently being funded and prioritized. We need initiatives that recognize our long term needs. Sometimes that means reforming the way our government operates. 

When I served as Commissioner in Mt. Lebanon we changed the way things were done. I fought to minimize public debt for routine expenditures and authored a real balance budget ordinance. We stopped short-sighted, damaging policies that ignored our pension costs and short-changed our infrastructure needs. We knew times were tough, but in passing such key reforms we didn’t act as if it was the end of times. 

Many of the Commission accomplishments that I am most proud of came from conversations with you. It was a WWII veteran that asked me to help him build a Veteran’s Memorial. It was local residents that encouraged me to fully review the necessity of maintaining the Parking Authority. It was a younger person who asked me why we had such a limited recycling program. I altered some ideas, combined others, and didn’t use some at all.  But I actively listened, debated, and worked in a largely bipartisan fashion to improve our community. And we did it all for you to see: televised on our public access channels and promoted on my website where I not only listed every major vote but also explained them. I recognize not every vote or position was or will be universally praised, but I promise you my sincerest effort to get things done and I will not be out-worked.

My wife and I love living in this area. My son attends public school in Mt. Lebanon and I continue to serve as a volunteer firefighter. I will work hard over these next couple of months to be worthy of your vote on May 21st. I invite your participation and urge you to follow my campaign at www.VoteDanMiller.com or at facebook.com/VoteDanMiller.

Best,

Dan

3 comments:

Lebo Citizens said...

For this post, I will not be publishing anonymous comments.
Elaine

Bill Matthews said...

Dan Miller has my vote.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Dan. You'll do great things.

Dave Franklin