Saturday, September 29, 2012

Best advice

In the latest issue of mtl Magazine, Susan Morgans shares her thoughts on the best advice. http://lebomag.com/7156/in-this-issue/
What was the best advice anyone ever gave you?
That question prompted a lively debate on our deck one evening this past summer with people of various ages sharing good advice they had received ranging from the serious to the seemingly silly.
My parents and other caring adults surely gave me thoughtful advice that I followed, but I can’t recall their words specifically. What I remember more clearly are random comments that turned out to be useful advice.
This got me thinking about an anonymous comment which I approved on the thread, Posti too busy for Commission

Anonymous said...
I only occasionally come upon your blog and am certainly not a regular reader, but those time that I have, I notice that you do have hate in your heart. Jo Posti was right.

Did you ever watch the Muppet Show in the 1970's? Do you remember those grumpy old guys who sat up in the balcony? They never actually did anything but just criticized the performers. You and some of the commentors here ("anonymous" ones and otherwise) remind me of them, criticizing everyone but not actually doing anything except, in your case, running a blog -- which is fine, but unlike those you so readily and pettily criticize, you have zero accountability.

Instead of being defensive, if someone tells you you have hate in your heart, you should think about it.

September 27, 2012 2:32 PM
Oddly, both comments are conveying the same message to me. Maybe Jo's prayers are working.

12 comments:

John David Kendrick said...

Hi Elaine,

Would you permit me to offer you some advice?

1. Don't take any advice from Susan Morgans.

and

2. Never give up fighting for what you believe in.

God bless you Elaine Gillen.

Sincerely,
John David Kendrick

Anonymous said...

Morgans is all about giving lots of advice, but rarely if ever accepts any herself.

Seems the PIO handle has gone to her head and thinks it entitles her to express her opinions on anything and everything to everyone regardless.

Lebo Citizens said...

What I find curious is that Morgans wants to avoid political agendas yet features an individual who opposes certain poultry establishments. Very curious.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Those grumpy old men on Sesame Street didn't have to pay taxes to the show or pay homage to the producers.

So much for the analogy.

If anything, residents here need a bigger voice in what goes on here. Voting for representatives every two years just doesn't cut it.

Anonymous said...

I feel that Morgans time has come. I'd like her to retire.

Anonymous said...

How about a recall? Throw the bums out!

Anonymous said...

Ditto 3:44 PM.

And could we stop using that expensive paper? What a waste of money!

Anonymous said...

Cover girl, no less.
If I were a betting man, I would say that your anonymous commenter referenced in your Blog posting is Ms. Posti herself.

Anonymous said...

End the "corporate culture" - we want something that shows the real Mt Lebanon !

Richard Gideon said...

When people cannot hold their own in a battle of wits or an exchange of ideas they often turn to one of two remedies: 1)a vitriolic attack against their opponents, or 2)dragging the argument away from the point in question in order to take the "moral high ground." One sees this quite often on this Blog, the anonymous comment Ms. Gillen adduces in the introduction to this tread being a classic example. The best defense against either of these tactics is to let the witless person have his or her say, and hold one's peace. These people usually condemn themselves without any help from the public.

On a sidebar issue raised in this thread, I would advise many of the "anonymous" posters to this Blog to take heed as to their writing styles; perhaps "mix it up" a bit. By comparing the syntax and grammar of some of these people against E-mail I've received, and signed missives on some "public" websites, I can easily identify many of them (just as I am sure that many people can identify me by my writing style, let alone that I identify myself). And, yes, some of them are on our illustrious school board.

Anonymous said...

It's tough to put out 10 "feel good" magazines a year while avoiding the real issues that are dividing this community.

Lebo Citizens said...

4:13 PM, you may be right, but I think it was the MTL editor.
Elaine