Monday, March 7, 2011

Corbett's Budget Cuts

In today's Post Gazette:

"The combination of up to $1 billion in cuts of state funding to school districts, combined with a voucher proposal that would be funded with dollars from school districts, combined with increased pension obligations and other costs, are threatening to cause dramatic cutbacks in school districts across the state," he said.
The $1 billion is federal money that is supporting the state's basic education subsidy but is not expected to be renewed.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11066/1130255-454.stm#ixzz1FvV7pJWz
Why am I writing about school district cuts, when I am running for Commissioner?  I am a resident and have great concern for Mt. Lebanon.  I have expressed to the District that government funding was going to dry up. I pleaded with the School Board, demanding fiscal responsibility by scaling back the renovation to a more manageable number. And now I read this in today's PG.  That is why I was quoted on May 24, 2010 saying, "This is a sad day for Mt. Lebanon."  That was the day the District budget was passed.  I just wanted the District to spend wisely. 

Update 11:55 AM In all fairness to the School District, there will be a town hall meeting tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. in the High School Library.  This meeting is open to the public and gives us an opportunity to help the School District figure out how they are going to pay for the renovation, I mean, generate more revenue for the District.  Revenue Generating Review Team Holds Town Hall Meeting.
I hope the District televises the meeting.  I will be at the Commission meeting, so I will not be able to record it.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should be interesting. Remember that Jan Klien told the Audit & Finance committee that programs and curriculum could be impacted by 2015 due to Act 1 limits.
When the layoffs and consolidated classrooms hit Mt. Lebanon, I wonder how the parents that lobbied so intensely for the $113,000,000 high school project are going to react?
Hope they enjoy 30 students in a classroom, fewer art, language and music programs.
Not to mention those teachers, that have SOS signs in their yards.
They be able to revelle in their new digs and contracted salary increases while some of their newer associates are enjoying their unemployment vacation packages.
Giffen Good

Anonymous said...

How about the people add [for] to their SOS signs?
SAVE FOR OUR SCHOOL
Mary Stanley

Jack Mulliken said...

I think this situation can be summed up well with adaptation of a Margaret Thatcher quote:

"The problem with..." school board projects "... is that you eventually run out of other people's money."

So, "VOICE of Mt Lebanon" does that mean it will still be "$18/month (or less)?"

I SERIOUSLY hope that SOMEONE is teaching our children fiscal responsibility because it's clear our school board is not leading my example.