Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I love my new porch roof!

It isn't done yet, but here is the picture from the Allegheny County website of my new porch roof.  

Here is the picture I took today.  As you can see, I still need to have it stained.

I got my reassessment from the County today.  They are really on top of things.  I had a building permit, since I always go by the rules.  I am not complaining, because those who know me, know that I pay my taxes as soon as I get the tax bill.  I paid my County taxes in early February!!  I am also mindful of people paying their fair share.  I was on a committee this past summer that sent out reminders to those who did not file for a Homestead Exclusion. This is a way to reduce your assessed home value by $15,000.  We sent a letter to the owner of this home:
His home is assessed at $189,000 without the Homestead Exclusion.  With the Homestead Exclusion, this house would be assessed at $174,000.  That is only $42,400 more than my home's reassessment after my Homestead Exclusion.
Here is the current picture from the County website.  Same house.

What confuses me is that this home was purchased in 2006 for $373,000, not $189,000.  It was remodeled in 2007, (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07342/840060-30.stm ) and is now on the market for $674,900.  As a candidate for Commissioner of Ward 3, I have been looking at ways to generate revenue for Mt. Lebanon.  Oh wait, this house is in Ward 3.  Oh my, it is the commissioner of Ward 3's home.  And he was just endorsed by the Republican Committee.   Imagine that.

I love my house.  I really love my new porch roof and am glad I spent the money to make it the way I have always wanted it to be.  I have no regrets.  Oh, I forgot.  I am not moving either.

No comments: