Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mt. Lebanon

Next month marks the 100th anniversary of our town. Back in the Spring 2011,  I had volunteered to be on the 100 year celebration committee.  To honor my commitment, I had placed this logo on my website from the municipal website.  The copyright symbol does not appear on the municipal site.
As you all know, I was asked to remove it from my website, which I did.  So to help get us in the party mood, I decided to share a timeline from 1912.  

January 1912 The establishment of the Republic of China.
February 6, 1912 Mt. Lebanon becomes a separate township, originally part of Upper St. Clair and Scott Townships.
March 1912 Tokyo gives the US 3000 cherry blossom trees, to be planted in Washington, DC.
April 1912 The Titanic sinks with the loss of 1500.
June 1912 Universal Pictures is incorporated.
August 1912 The Chinese Nationalist Party, the Kuomintang, is established.
October 1912 The first Balkan War begins
November 1912 Albania gains its independence.

As I had mentioned to Susan Morgans, I remember the 50th anniversary.  I had a felt Mt. Lebanon pennant thumbtacked on my bedroom wall for years.  I wonder whatever happened to that thing.  Anyone else remember the fireworks?  It was lots of fun.  I hope the 100th anniversary is as memorable for everyone.

 


No comments: