Sunday, November 19, 2017

I hate this time of year.

3Ws is playing Christmas music 24 hours a day. I changed the station, only to hear an interview from Travis whats-his-face from the PA Game Commission to talk about killing deer. And then I get this anonymous comment:
Watched the discussion session on turfing the Rock Pile. Just curious why Penn State - that they rely on for so much info - hguses natural grass on its football, soccer and lacrosse fields if artificial turf is so superior. They also use natural grass on many heavily used fields for practice, clinics and summer tournaments available to outside organizations. http://www.visitpennstate.org/meeting-sports-planners/sports-planners/field-hockey-lacrosse-soccer/ It’s obvious the board is dead set on artificial turf and being that anonymous info/comments aren’t welcome here, this will be my last.
On November 29, 2017, I will begin my eighth year of this blog. I have published 44,543 comments to my 2,407 posts. I can't even guess how many of those 44,543 comments were anonymous. I have approved countless comments from Giffen Good, Dick Saunders, and more. I have posted lyrics to songs, lame quotes, links to outdated articles, and comments that are off topic. The anonymous comment above was submitted under "What is Variatiability?" after I wrote:

4:53 PM, while I truly appreciate all the studies you share here on Lebo Citizens, it is really a waste of time. We have three attorneys lobbying for artificial turf - Dave Franklin, Bill Moorhead, and Larry Lebowitz. We are also hearing from directors and parents. Paula asked for the vote to be tabled until the December reorganization meeting. I don't know what the board is afraid of. The board has committed to a full size regulation field. Actually, Mary Birks will not be able to vote on the artificial turf because it would be a conflict of interest with her husband/older gentleman who refs on those fields. The PA Ethics Commission is aware.

So thanks for all the studies and links, 4:53 PM, but no thanks. It didn't work with the municipality. It is not going to work with the school district. The board needs to hear from real people at the microphone. Not stuff posted here. They claim that they don't read the blog, but we all know they read every word. I don't need the speech about anonymity. Speaking at next week's meeting is the only thing that will be effective.
So 4:53 PM, you might want to take a look at tomorrow's agenda. You are the only person I know who has to announce your "last comment." I started this blog this time of year, many years ago, to try to bring transparency to Mt. Lebanon and do something constructive during the holidays. I ran "Dress 4 Work" every November for six years. I don't need you to tell me that anonymous info/comments aren't welcome here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A long time Reader, I'm thankful for your dedication. You've welcomed all of my submissions.
Anonymous

Lebo Citizens said...

Thanks, 1:52 PM. Thanks for sticking with me.

I want to clarify that I am still accepting anonymous comments, even though it says that I am not. I think that with this being Thanksgiving week, things tend to slow down. Plus, with the election over, and soon there will be a "new sheriff in town," there will be less hateful comments submitted. At least I hope so!
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I can answer the Penn State grass question: they can do that because they have a large unpaid workforce of students studying turfgrass management. It's a recognized program, but without that there is no way they could provide safe grass fields for so many athletes. They also benefit in that many of their fields are used exclusively for one sport. This allows the fields to recover and for the students, professors and staff to work their magic. To compare our fields to theirs is like comparing a Yugo to a Tesla; on the surface it seems to work (they're both cars after all), but upon closer inspection it's a doomed comparison.