Saturday, November 4, 2017

Ward 4 Checklist UPDATED 11/817

































Update November 6, 2017 9:50 AM I think Gorilla is playing to win. Prove me wrong, Ward 4. MLRC is not happy with me. Well, that's nothing new.

From: Steve Lane 
To: egillen476 <egillen476@aol.com>
Sent: Wed, Nov 1, 2017 6:05 pm
Subject: Commission Race

Dear Elaine,

I was very sorry to hear of your disagreement with the decision by Bob Fischer's campaign committee to take the moral high road in this election. There was a great deal of discussion within the committee regarding this very subject, but in the end we decided that the best approach was to work to emphasize Bob's accomplishments and his qualifications rather getting involved in a mudslinging contest.  As Bob's campaign chairman I wholeheartedly agree with this decision.

Personally, I do not believe there can ever be any backlash or repercussions from doing the right thing.  I also believe that the circus that our national political arena has become has only served to desensitize the voters and to turn them off to any news from either party, either good or bad.  To jump on the smear campaign bandwagon by attacking Mr. Grella's character would only serve to further this disenfranchisement and drive more people away. 

Elaine, the word is out about Mr. Grella, and your blog had a lot to do with that. You do a great job with getting the word out to the community on difficult subjects that sometimes make people uncomfortable and for that my hat is off to you. I would have to ask however that even if you don't completely agree with the committee's decision and the thought process behind it, that you will respect our position and that you will continue to support Bob's campaign for Mt. Lebanon's 4th ward commission seat.

Respectfully,

Steven. R. Lane
Chairman
People for Bob Fischer

Update November 8, 2017 6:45 AM This was my reply to Mr. Lane.

Steven,

I have taken a couple of days to cool off before responding to you. I also decided to copy Bob.

I would like to begin with the fact that I wanted to feature Bob Fischer in a Behind the Bubble feature on my Lebo Citizens blog, but nobody responded. I have also heard that your committee has said that my blog "is out there." I have supported Bob more than any other commission candidate. I have published his brochure. I have published an anonymous letter supporting Bob.

I also want to point out that Bob called me to say that he was going to print his opponent's docket sheet on the back of his latest lit drop. I have spent an enormous amount of time on the Ward Four Commission race, more than the Ward Two Commission race. There have been many people working behind the scenes supporting Bob via my blog.

I should also address your "mudslinging contest" comment. Putting a docket sheet out there is not mudslinging. It is factual. You let the voters draw their own conclusions. Talk about a slap in the face, Mr. Grella has no respect for first responders. If he wins, what message will he be sending to our community?

To say that I should continue to support Bob's campaign for Mt. Lebanon's 4th ward commission seat is a real slap in the face. I guess I haven't done enough for Bob's campaign.

Elaine T. Gillen

19 comments:

Bill Matthews said...

Bob Fischer - Without a Doubt!

Unknown said...

Could someone explain to me what Bob stands for, other than not being Craig G.?

His flier does not make that clear - there are a lot of platitudes, but few specifics. For example, would he use taxpayer funds to kill deer, turf fields, prioritize everything sports-oriented over more substantive endeavors?

Bob, are you reading this? Can you explain in your own voice? I do not think 'I am not Craig G. and I lived here a long time' is going to be good enough.

Anonymous said...

Craig has my vote.

Anonymous said...

Jason:
Bob has the following on his website. You should enjoy his position on the newcomers tax. The fact that he isn’t Grella is good enough for me.

“Maintain Municipal Infrastructure
An aging community has an aging infrastructure that needs to be properly maintained. This includes funding maintenance projects that keep our roads, sanitary and storm sewer systems, and public building facilities up to date and in good working order. By supporting regular maintenance protocols, we can avoid steep tax increases in the event of a major crisis.

Eliminate the Newcomers Tax
The Newcomers Tax is unfair to the many new residents and young families who move into the 4th Ward because it inflates their property assessments beyond that of others—resulting in wildly different property taxes on virtually identical homes. This tax unfairly assesses the property value on the sale price but not comparable homes. I don’t believe that we should be discouraging young families from purchasing a home in our community by increasing their property taxes.

Fiscal Responsibility
We need more public/private partnerships to sustain ongoing public programs and services. Our current services and programs should be evaluated to ensure that they are meeting the needs of our residents and whether or not they can be sustained or improved through a combination of public and private funding.
Improve the Castle Shannon and McNeilly Road Corridors
First impressions are important, and the Castle Shannon and McNeilly Road corridors that serve as entrances into Mt. Lebanon have numerous properties that need to be addressed. I propose working to develop the properties along McNeilly Road into a walking park and to clean up both these areas.

Joint Cooperation
Through a program of joint cooperation, we can stop duplicating facilities that are already available in other nearby communities (The rifle range is such an example.) Additionally, we should work with neighboring communities and assess the impact of the development of a park-and-ride area across from the Shop’n Save. We can also improve our cooperation with the Mt. Lebanon School District to ensure that school facilities are more available to our residents.

Anonymous said...

As a Lebo commissioner, he can't do anything about County Property taxes.

Anonymous said...

You are correct 12:06, but he can stop the municipality from appealing what it considers under assessed homes (the newcomers tax).

Anonymous said...

5:54,
You must be Gorilla.

Lebo Citizens said...

Which is exactly what Steve Silverman did with his own McMansion, 7:48 AM.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Jason: Don't you live in Green Tree ?

Unknown said...

I have dual citizenship, 9:39am. The majority of my taxes, however, are paid in MTL and my kids are in the MTL schools.

I think Bob F. is making a mistake but not being more direct on where he stands on high-profile MTL issues. Coming out against The Newcomers Tax is easy... even the commissioners themselves admitted they made a mistake there. I'd like to know:

+ Kill deer or not - yes or no.

+ Turf fields or not - yes or no.

+ What specific expensive projects can we do without, if $$$ are drying up (which they clearly are)? What is essential, and what is not, from a taxpayer perspective?

Bob may me missing a big opportunity here. C'mon, Bob, win some Independent voters!


Anonymous said...

Jason, Fischer has been more direct than his opponent that only has a very generic vision statement on his website.
I asked Bob the same questions you are asking here and got very straight answers and Bob will be getting my vote based on them.
I won’t answer for Bob, but I will say to you Jason knowing your positions you’ll like Bob more than the alternative.

Anonymous said...

Jason, is it safe to assume (based on your post) that Bob’s opponent has told you that he’s anti-deer culling and anti-turf?

From where I sit, even if Bob and his opponent are on equal footing with respect to those two issues, Bob clearly stands head and shoulders above.

Unknown said...

Thanks, 12:10pm. I don't know who you are, but somehow I believe you.

Anonymous said...

Gorilla has never had an original idea in his head. There is nothing but air between those ears (and the two front teeth).

Anonymous said...

To Steve Lane, make sure then that your guy wins!
Hopefully Bob’s Campaign hasn’t been too little, too late.

Personally I like Bob’s positions, hopefully his message has gotten to everyone in Ward 4.

Anonymous said...

This rainy, cold weather, according to election lore, is likely to put Fischer ahead of Gorilla.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be an Eeyore but idont think either Rep candidate running for commissioner in Lebo has a chance,, because not only is the registration heavily tilted towards the Dems,, but anti-Trump movement may kill any Rep(local or national) regardless of their excellent qualifications for many years if not forever

Anonymous said...

4:01

You may be correct on all points. Watch NJ and VA tonight. I am anxiously awaiting the results of Ward 4 commish. Political parties are the same in Lebo. Dems are far to the right here.

Anonymous said...

the county results are already online,, the vote count is not complete but Grella is beating Fisher and Mr. Silverman is killing Charlotte,, ps I heard through the grapevine that Steve will most likely be running for higher office after Lebo...