Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Get out the tissues!


Pittsburgh Magazine featured the official trailer for the Fred Rogers documentary released today. It would have been Fred Rogers' 90th birthday.

Mister Rogers, we need you. You made us feel safe. You made us happy. You helped us understand. You made the world a better place.

I worked for the Highmark Caring Foundation, where Fred Rogers was Honorary Chairman of the Highmark Caring Place. In fact, I worked there until I had a grieving kid at home.

I have fond memories of Mister Rogers. He loved to eat at "The Good Earth." Remember that restaurant at the Galleria? We would say hi to him and he was just like he was on TV. He was the real deal. Remember when Coach Willie was on his program? Willie Saunders was a Mt. Lebanon gym teacher and swim coach. I met Neighbor Aber when I was canvassing Ward 3 for the commissioner seat. We took our son to WQED to see the set. So cool.

How about when he went before a Senate Subcommittee meeting in 1969 to request funding for public education? Here it is.



I'm not crying. YOU are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Rogers.