Sunday, July 12, 2015

Babs tarnishes the Garden Tour

Today was my 25th Mt. Lebanon Public Library Garden Tour. This has always been my favorite Mt. Lebanon event and would look forward to it every year. I support the Mt. Lebanon Library and would never think of making it political. I would say hello to all the attendees at the Garden Party which is held the evening before, even if we may disagree on an issue. Last night, there was a change in the air.

Since Barbara Logan's garden was on the tour, she attended the Garden Party. The Logans' garden was on the Garden Tour three or four years ago, but made a command appearance this year. I said hello to Barbara, and was ignored. I said hello to others who spoke in favor of killing deer, and would get a cold hello in return. I was very discouraged. This was the one social event that I loved. 

People spoke in whispers saying that they actually weren't bothered by the deer. To say that out loud would have been politically incorrect last night.

Today's tour was fabulous. There were eight private gardens on the tour. The subject of deer seemed to come up at every home. I spread the word about a deer deterrent called, "The Scarecrow." It is a motion sensing device that attaches to a garden hose. It really works! 

Then I attended the Logan garden. At the sign in table were stacks of these.
























And this:







This is what upsets me the most. The commissioners are telling us that this isn't about gardens. It is about reducing the deer/car accidents (9%) by 50% over the next five years, while ignoring the 91% of the remaining accidents. It isn't about car accidents. It really is about gardens. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Classy touch, Babs. How appropriate.

PS to Babs---obviously you did not graduate from finishing school.