Thursday, July 2, 2015

The plan was always more deer killing this Fall

Somehow I missed the minutes from the April 8, 2015 Community Relations Board meeting.

Commission Liaison’s Report: Commissioner Silverman recapped this year’s deer cull. He said there would be another cull next year, but not necessarily one using the same method. A lengthy discussion followed during which members shared some of the comments they heard about the cull from residents and debated whether the board should have any role in the deer issue. Dianne Wainwright suggested that the board limit its role to encouraging people to call their commissioners. Bob Taylor and Susanne Wagner reminded Mr. Silverman that the board previously had decided it could not take a position on the issue but would support the Commission if and when it made a decision. Susanne Wagner said that she does not think the board should have a role in a deer-related project.
Steve Silverman gave his report days after Merlin Benner left town. Also in attendance was staff liaison PIO Susan Morgans, who told the press days before the meeting, that there was going to be "a cooling off period." Some cooling off period. You also told us that both lethal and non-lethal options will be considered. It was always going to be lethal methods only. John Bendel, were you aware that Steve Silverman was not resetting the dialogue as you were quoted as saying in the PG's Commissioners lament 'divisiveness' of Mt. Lebanon deer culling debate? It is right there in the Community Relations Board minutes of April 8, 2015.

The next commission meeting will be on July 14. Just like the June 22, 2015 farce, the July 14 commission meeting will also be held at the high school. This is when we have an opportunity to comment on the deer killing plan. Not that it will matter since it was decided back in April, according to Steve Silverman, that there will be more deer killing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are residents aware that many combat veterans with PTSD have symptoms triggered by fireworks? Be sensitive in your neighborhoods if you are using fireworks.

See these webpages for more info:

http://www.militarywithptsd.org/product/veteran-firework-sign/
https://www.facebook.com/MilitarywithPTSD

Speaking of sensitivity, deer culls in backyards or parks also impact combat veterans with PTSD. I believe census data indicated that military veterans could represent as many as 10% of our MtL population.

I am using combat veterans as an obvious example of a segment of our densely populated community that would be negatively impacted by exposure to gun use in our neighborhoods.

Anonymous said...

Below is an email from a Mt. Lebanon high school student who was a victim of a violent crime where guns were involved, and who was diagnosed with PTSD, to her Commissioner. This young girl also bravely spoke at a Commission meeting too. She copied me on her email to her Commissioner, but I'm blanking her name and the Commissioner's name out, because I didn't ask for her permission to share her email. I don't think she'd mind because she spoke publicly about her PTSD at a Commission meeting, but since I didn't get her permission to share her email I'm keeping it anonymous. The prior PTSD post made me think of this young girl, and why I'm posting her email. This young girl's pleas to the Commissioners was ignored, so that a handful of elitist snobs, who refuse to plant deer resistant flowers, can showcase their homes on the Library Garden Tour. It's unconscionable! (note this email was in 2012, and so not all the same Commissioners)

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM, xxxxx xxxxx wrote:

Ms. xxxxxxx,

My name is xxxxx xxxxx, and I spoke at the meeting in August regarding the deer culling program. I live at xxx xxxxxxxxx Drive. Unfortunately I am unable to attend the meeting tonight but I still want my voice to be heard that I am in strong opposition to the deer culling program. Now I know that each side has presented you with facts and figures from various sources either in opposition or in favor of the program. But I want to urge of all you and take a minute to think about it what it really means to allow .223 hunting rifle or the AR-15 magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle, into our neighborhoods. Most people would become very uncomfortable if they saw someone carrying semi-automatic on Washington Road and there would be many phone calls to the police. The deer culling program will allow such weapons into our streets at night time, which is truly frightening. I can tell you from personal experience that weapons are not something to take lightly. I am the victim of a violent crime and guns were present during this crime, I have been diagnosed with PTSD and am continuing to recover from the event. For me to wake up one night after a bad dream and to look out my window to see someone carrying an assault rifle would make me feel very unsafe and not at home in my own house, in my own neighborhood. What you need to consider while looking at the deer culling program is that are the benefits of removing the deer from the area by method of sharp shooters worth the price of having citizens feeling unsafe and frightened in their own community. I honestly do not think that price is worth it and I urge you to instead educate residents on planting different plants, and other solutions that will not result in having deadly weapons in the neighborhood.

xxxxx xxxxx