Sunday, November 6, 2011

Charlotte Stephenson writes

Personal Statement by Charlotte Stephenson   Nov. 6, 2011

I have several years experience serving those within the Mt. Lebanon School District, Mt. Lebanon Community and Greater Pittsburgh Area. Relative to our school district, as a member of the Executive Committee of the Mt. Lebanon Foundation for Education I was “instrumental” in facilitating the purchase of a harp for the high school orchestra. As president of the Mt. Lebanon Extended Day Program, I worked with the Superintendent to ensure this important program’s viability while the program was expanded to include students in Kindergarten. On the Executive Committee of the Mt. Lebanon High School Crew Club, I was very pleased to influence funding of a new boat through my other role as trustee of a private foundation. While my children attended Mt. Lebanon Schools, for twelve years I volunteered at each one, served as PTA Editor of the Jefferson Middle School Newsletter and taught robotics in support of a lunchtime enrichment program.

Within our community it is my pleasure to serve on the Session of Southminster Church, as Moderator of Presbyterian Women in Southminster and on the Denis Theatre Foundation Advisory Board. Additionally, I am a strong supporter of the Veterans Memorial Project.

Outside the boundary of Mt. Lebanon, I serve on the Board of Sojourner House and recently accepted the invitation to serve on the In-House Scholarship Committee of the Pittsburgh Foundation. I am currently Vice Moderator, Missions for Presbyterian Women in the Pittsburgh Presbytery.

My educational credentials include a B.S., Health Related Professions and M.B.A. My last full time career position was V.P. of Operations for a local technology company serving a national client base. I taught information technology at the college level for eleven years and currently work in Mt. Lebanon as a dental hygienist on a limited basis.

I believe that the experiences described above demonstrate my commitment to public service, ability to work with others to problem solve and achieve positive outcomes.

The School Board is ultimately responsible for all school district concerns and governs on behalf of our residents. The Board provides vision, planning and goal setting, evaluation to ensure accountability to the public, sets policy, supervises the Superintendent, and is responsible for the district’s annual budget.

The strength of any board is determined by the various capabilities of those serving on it. I believe that differences among board members are an important component to continue growth through creative idea sharing that stimulates the exploration of various possible solutions.

If elected, I will commit to performing my duties to the best of my ability.  While I believe that the high school facility needs to be renovated, I am opposed to the currently anticipated level of spending on it, particularly because this is one cost that can be controlled. I believe the community should be given the opportunity to vote on the level of resources committed to this project in the form of a referendum.


Many important considerations will come into play for our School Board over the next five years. Funding constraints coupled with pressures to continuously improve our educational performance, societal and rapid technological changes will require creative innovation for us to remain competitive. The issue of vouchers will require evaluation and we will need to respond to our demographic changes while looking for creative sources of funding that have not yet been considered.

If you believe that my qualifications would be an asset to the Mt. Lebanon School Board, please write-in my name, along with the other candidates who are willing to serve with me and share my passion for our school district and community.

Thank You,

Charlotte M. Stephenson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Stephenson should fit right in with the dysfunctional board because she didn't answer the questions. Bill Hook