Friday, November 11, 2011

An open letter from James Cannon

All:
I've been reading with interest the analysis/opinions of the election. But before going further, I wish to thank the following:

-all the volunteers for their time and faith. Knowing you believed in what we were doing as a team kept me going
- those in the community who supported me and Team Cannon. We felt your frustration and desire for a change, and we tried in vain to deliver that change.

-all residents who voted, regardless of your choice. While I may disagree with some on where their vote was laid, I will always support our citizens exercising their Constitutional rights.

That said, I want to clarify something that was bandied about in the silly emails that made the rounds, and I've now seen online. The write-in "strategy" was most certainly not employed solely to get me elected. Our team made a conscious decision, albeit a risky one, to try to gain a majority on the school board. It was not a decision made in haste nor was it self-serving. Our team felt that a Cannon victory alone would ring hollow as I would be the only dissenting voice. The existing school board knew it, too.  In the end, we took a risk and it didn't yield our desired result. But I assure anyone reading, our goal was to help the community by getting five common-sense, fiscally-minded candidates elected so we could redirect what we all still see as a disastrous course on which the current board is taking our community.

I would be remiss if I didn't also point out a highlight of our campaign. Not once--ever--did we engage in personal attacks on other candidates.  Our team discussed the issue twice--once in early May before the primary, and once about two weeks before the general. And both times it was a very brief conversation in which we agreed to stick to business and board issues, and dismiss from our volunteer corps anyone launching personal attacks. We simply felt, and still do, a community-level election should be free of such behavior. It does nobody any good, especially the voters. Unfortunately, not all the candidates held the same sentiment. Well, that's on their conscience. Ours are clear.

At this juncture, only time will support our positions, the opinions we expressed in our campaign communication. I am firmly convinced we, the campaign team, will be vindicated. It's a shame, though, that vindication will come at such a heavy price to so many in the community.  The looming financial trauma to be inflicted on Mt. Lebanon will, I fear, destroy what charm and character are left here. That is something that cannot be replaced.

In the end, Mt. Lebanon, I take a great deal of personal joy at having gone through this experience. I got to meet hundreds of residents and hear their stories and cherish their faith in me. I also got to know a handful of people much better, and now humbly call them "friend".  And I have a greater appreciation for the political process. I hope some of those who stepped into the light to express themselves this year will consider running for a local office in the future. Our campaign team, while focused on the task at hand, really emphasized adhering to principle and having fun. Again, thank you to everyone involved. I'll see you again--soon...

-James E. Cannon

No comments: