Friday, October 16, 2015

Oh the things I learn...

There has been so much drama over the dead tree next to my house. As you know, I have been battling with Mt. Lebanon since April over the damn dead tree. Long story short, the tree belongs to MTL - nuh uh.

I had concerns with Mt. Lebanon using this area for killing deer. Mt. Lebanon said that it is really moot as the park is too close to Foster School. It turns out that the killing next to my house in 2006-2008 was ILLEGAL! So Rockwood Park can never be used for killing. Did you just hear my sigh of relief? Mt. Lebanon admitted that USDA Wildlife Services was not observing the Gun Free School Zone law, within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school. It was introduced in the U.S. Senate in October 1990 by Joseph R. Biden and signed into law in November 1990 by George H. W. Bush. USDA also killed deer immediately next to Lincoln School, in what they call Meadowcroft Park, along with other areas close to schools. This is why Bird Park is not part of White Buffalo's archery program. I cringe when I hear about shootings near Hoover School area.

So the paperwork has been notarized and the tree is coming down ASAP. MTL hired Gateway, who then hired Steve Liadis to do the surveying to tell me that the tree does not belong to me. Unreal.

What I learned? Mt. Lebanon wastes money every chance they get and more importantly, violate Federal laws.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the sudden change in their risk management? Before, it was your tree on a paper street. How could that possibly change?

Also, with respect to killing deer, are the federal gun free school zones universally applicable now with respect to hunting and permitted deer culls? I thought they said those didn't apply at one point.

Lebo Citizens said...

2:13 PM, I kept telling them that part of the park parking lot was on "my half" of the paper street. They plow it in the winter and cut the grass in the spring, summer, and fall. It was never "my half" of the paper street. It is the park! This all started when I went to the Parks Advisory Board in April, of which Steve Silverman is the commission liaison. Rudy Sukal was, at that time, acting Public Works director. I was not paying to cut down that tree. I wasn't backing down. Feller announced his resignation, a survey was ordered, I provided the easement (totally unnecessary) badda bing, badda boom, the tree is being cut down...hopefully.

With respect to GFSZ, the park is public property. That is all I know.
Elaine

Unknown said...

If Mt. Lebanon did not make that admission in writing, they deny for convenience sake. Even if it is in writing, they will deny it. Anything to kill the deer. They allow nothing to get in their way.